Friday, September 3, 2010

Hot Corn Dip

Its not very often that I find appetizer recipes that are worth making.
This was one that I knew I would love before I even made it.
Cheese, red peppers and fresh corn.   What's not to love?
Yum!
Hot Corn Dip
Recipe by Emeril Lagasse

2 Tbsp. butter

3 1/2 c. corn kernels (from 4 ears fresh white or yellow corn, or frozen fresh corn)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 c. finely chopped yellow onions
1/2 c. finely chopped red bell peppers - I used roasted red bell peppers from a jar.
1/4 c. chopped green onions
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
2 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (optional)
4 ounces monterey jack or cheddar, shredded- I used pepperjack
4 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
1/4 tsp. cayenne
Tortilla chips, for dipping

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Melt 1 Tbsp. of the butter in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the corn, salt, and black pepper.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until the kernels turn deep golden brown, about 5 minutes.
Transfer to a bowl.

Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in the skillet.
Add the onions and bell peppers and cook, stirring often, until the onions are wilted, about 2 minutes.
Add the beans (if using them) green onions, jalapeno, and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened.
Transfer to the bowl with the corn.

Add the mayo, cayenne pepper, half of the monterey jack and half of the cheddar and mix well.
Pour into an 8-inch square baking dish (or something equivilant) and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
Bake until bubbly and golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
Serve hot with tortilla chips.

**Just a side note about the black beans:  I had some extra beans in my fridge, so the next day while I was devouring this dip I decided to add them (that's why the picture doesn't show any).  Anyway, it was delicious!  I might make them a permanent addition... but it is good both ways.**

1 comment:

  1. Altered a little based on what I had on hand, but just slid into the oven for a BBQ tonight and it looks incredible. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete