Monday, March 26, 2012

Baked Oatmeal {with Strawberries, Banana and Chocolate}

I have been determined for quiet some time to find a great Baked Oatmeal recipe.  All the ones I had tried before were just a little to blah for me.  And then I just had to call myself a retard when I saw this recipe.  Why didn't I think of adding all of those delicious ingredients before?  Strawberries, banana, chocolate and almonds all baked into a warm, delicious breakfast.

Next time I think I'll use blueberries and raspberries with white chocolate chips.
And the time after that, I'll use the apples from my apple pie filling, and then drizzle the syrup over it once its baked.

Oh yeah, the possibilities are pretty much endless on this one.
Photo courtesy of Inspired Taste
 
Baked Oatmeal {with Strawberries, Banana and Chocolate}
Recipe modified from Inspired Taste

2 c. regular oats
1/3 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. sliced or slivered almonds
1 c. sliced strawberries
1/3 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 c. milk
1 large egg
3 Tbsp. butter, melted
2 tsp. vanilla
1 banana, sliced
1-2 Tbsp. brown sugar, for sprinkling

Mix together the oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, half of the almonds, half of the strawberries, and half of the chocolate chips in a large bowl.
Spray an 8x8" or 9x9" baking dish with cooking spray and sprinkle the oat mixture inside.
Arrange banana slices over the top of the oatmeal.
Assemble the remaining half of the almonds, strawberries and chocolate on top of the banana.
 
Whisk together the milk, egg, butter and vanilla, and drizzle evenly over the oat mixture.
Shake the baking dish to help the milk mixture distribute throughout.
 
Bake for 35-40 minutes at 375 degrees, or until liquid has set and top is starting to golden.
Sprinkle remaining brown sugar over the top, and place under broiler for 30-60 seconds until sugar melts and caramelizes.
Serve warm.

1 comment: